Lobbs Lake - Fishing for Families
Important Information - Lobbs Lake Update
There has been a lot of positive news to report recently regarding Anchor Lake, however you may have noticed that Lobbs Lake is currently out of action. Unfortunately we are going to change how this lake operates in 2017 because our attempts last year to attract families with cheap permits (£18 for 4 fish was the most expensive and two children could share a bag limit) has not worked. Just over 100 permits were sold in total for the entire season and with fish stock amounting to nearly £2000 it is not viable to continue with these options.
At the moment we are considering our options with regard to Lobbs Lake which means it would be advisable to contact us in advance if you were hoping to enjoy some fishing with young family members. Please remember that children up to the age of 14 are allowed to share their parents bag limit on Anchor Lake.
Lobbs Lake was the original venue at Exe Valley Fishery, the brainchild of the late Mrs Ellen Maund who had the idea of stocking Rainbow Trout for anglers to enjoy back in the late 1960s. Since then the half acre venue has welcomed thousands of novice fly anglers learning to cast & experience the pull of their first Trout, although in recent years it has become most popular with families, introducing the new generation to the joys of fishing.
With this in mind Lobbs Lake is available for spinning and bait fishing. Lobbs is heavily stocked with fish up to around 2lbs and is therefore the perfect place to catch a Trout for the table, or even a lakeside barbeque. In fact during the summer several generations of the same family can often be seen enjoying the fishing, while relaxing with a picnic at the waters edge. For the more experienced the fishery complex includes Anchor Lake, which is operated on a fly only basis.
In recent years Lobbs has been extensively dredged to provide deep water habitat which responds well to sunk line tactics during the winter months using flies such as Black Montanas or Cats Whiskers. However, the most pleasurable method is to use a light floating line set up and pitch a dry fly to the free rising fish which can be seen feeding in the clear water conditions.
Lobbs is easily accessed from the main car park which means it is a great spot for disabled or elderly anglers and as we can almost guarantee a catch it is the ideal place to introduce your children to fishing or why not enrol them on one of our youth fly fishing events?
LOBBS LAKE FACTFILE
- Stock: Rainbow Trout up to 3lbs
- Ideal for: Novice anglers, children & families
- Recommended Tackle: Lightweight Fly Rod with floating line or 6’ to 7’ Spinning Rod
- Recommended Flies: Buzzers, Damsels, Hoppers, Daddies, Freds Flapper, Black Minkie, Sunburst Blob, Cats Whisker
- Methods: Any method - fly, bait or spin
- Best Bait: Bread, Cheese, Worms or Mepps Spinners
- Depth: 6' to 8'
- Main Hatches: Alders, Hawthorns, Sedge, Buzzers, Damsels, Various Upwing Flies & Terrestrials
- Facilities: Close to car park, toilets & shop. Picnic benches.
- Opening Times: All Year; No close season! 8.00am to 6.00pm (plus out of hours fishing by prior arrangement)